January 9, 2016
Clothe the Naked
“Solidarity presumes the creation of a new mindset which thinks in terms of community and the priority of the life of all over the appropriation of goods by a few.” (Pope Francis, The Joy of the Gospel, #188)
Works of Mercy usually begin as acts of charity. Today it is essential that they become acts of justice to effect changes in structures that support poverty.
- Donate gently used clothing to people in need.
- Initiate a parish response to provide clothing to persons who are victims of fires and other catastrophes.
- Purchase clothing from Fair Trade stores.
- Join efforts to support stores in buying products from companies that pay workers just wages.
- Contact shelters for a list of articles needed by persons who have taken refuge there.
- Donate new or gently used baby clothes to organizations that assist pregnant women.
- Develop the practice of giving away one gently used article of clothing each time a new one is purchased.
Visit the Diocese of Milwaukee website for a full list of suggestions for living out the Corporal Works of Mercy.
Year of Mercy Calendar for today: Go through your closet and donated the clothes you don’t wear anymore.